"A University of South Florida engineering professor who often warned his students about the dangers of lightning died a day after he was struck by a bolt while walking on campus. Richard Stessel, an associate professor who had been at the school since 1982, died Saturday without regaining consciousness. "He was very aware of lightning issues. He was always warning us," said Maysson Sallam, a doctoral candidate. Stessel, 44, was walking near tall trees when he was struck as a thunderstorm approached Friday."—Orlando Sentinel (link)
"The work of the Kraffts [documenting lava flows] was highlighted in a National Geographic video which featured a large amount of their footage and photographs as well as interviews with both. Maurice is famous for saying in the video that "I am never afraid because I have seen so many eruptions in 23 years that even if I die tomorrow, I don't care", coincidentally on the day before he and his wife's death in the Mt. Unzen [volcanic eruption]."—Wikipedia (link)
"On 9 April 2004, a DEA agent (who has not been identified by name in press accounts) delivered a presentation on gun safety to about 50 adults and students at an event sponsored by the Orlando Minority Youth Golf Association. Partway through his lecture, the agent picked up his .40-caliber duty weapon and held it up for the audience to see as he announced: "This is a Glock 40. Fifty Cent, Too Short, all of them talk about a Glock 40, OK? I'm the only one in this room professional enough that I know of to carry this Glock 40." Seconds later the gun discharged, wounding the agent in the thigh."—Snopes (link)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"Nath, 19, was struck by lightning that afternoon. Nath said she was walking in the rain, drenched and holding an umbrella while she came across the crosswalk along Maple Drive by the Campus Recreation Center. The next thing Nath remembers is getting up from the ground and looking around at the people staring back at her. "People were just staring at me with awe," Nath said. "No one helped me." Thrown to the ground unconscious and covered in dirt, Nath pick up her things and went to class, not realizing that she had been hit by lightning. "I was worried about getting to class and not getting dropped from the class," she said. "I don't remember anything from my class." Afterward, Nath returned to her room in Maple Hall, where she said she then began to suffer convulsions, stomach cramps and uncontrollable shaking."—Stefanie Green (link)
Post a Comment